Sunday, September 26, 2010

We Survived The Weekend In The Hood

We survived the weekend without any major incidents.
But the presence of the police on my street this last week bothered me. I started thinking more about the houses on my street. I also started paying more attention to the traffic on my street. I am noticing the same vehicles dropping by for quick visits in front of specific houses.
And I have been thinking about the prostitutes that I see along the side streets in the area. I mean, I have always known they were there. And I have always seen the condoms in the back lanes. But I never put any thought into where they conducted their business. I mean, I can't believe that the people who are paying for services will just walk down the lane and into someone's back yard. I can't believe that they go right up against the houses to conduct their business. Who are these people who are paying for services in the back yards of the North End?
The more I open my eyes to the goings on in my neighbourhood, the more I wonder how much I really want to know.
What I do want is a neighbourhood where it is against the law to sell drugs, and actions are taken. I want a neighbourhood where prostitutes do not work openly along my street and the streets around me. I want a neighbourhood where people from other parts of the city do not use my back lane for a dumping ground for items they no longer want or need. I want a neighbourhood where people have respect for themselves and others.
I do not want to be celebrating small victories like sleeping through the night. I do not want to have to check on the garbage truck to ensure my back lane actually had the garbage removed every Thursday. I do not want to constantly look out my window after hearing sirens to see if, yet again, they are on my street.

No comments:

Post a Comment