Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cheque Day In The Hood

Today is cheque day. That means the people on social assistance got money in their accounts at midnight last night. I don't need a calendar to tell when cheque day is, I just need ears.
I was woken up at 2:27am last night by someone loudly screaming down the lane. It sounded like it was further down than the party duplex. It didn't last long, about five minutes. Then I was back to sleep.
I woke up at 4:11am to the sound of loud yelling. After looking out the window, my husband and I spotted the culprits. There was a group of individuals on the next block over standing in the middle of the street. It is a busy street, and a truck route. Cars had to slow down to get around the individuals who were standing and staggering around and yelling on the street. They were not on their way anywhere. They just wandered around, yelling, in the same area of the street for twenty minutes. They calmed down and stopped yelling finally around 4:30am. But by 5:00am they were back at it, yelling again.
Then, just after 5:00am a car turned down my back lane. It was slow to start, then took off with tires squealing, down the full length of my back lane. I fell asleep again sometime after 5:00am.
There were sirens to be heard all through the night, moving around in the distance.
I woke up to a siren this morning around 7:00am and another around 8:00am. By 11:00am the sirens seem to be running five minutes apart, like labor pains.
Yesterday was quiet. We slept through the night, and hardly a siren could be heard until noon. Then it was only one per hour for a few hours. Then all was quiet until midnight, when the money arrived in the accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment