Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Day In The Hood Has Left The Building

That's right, we left.
My husband and I no longer live in the North End of Winnipeg. We don't live anywhere in Winnipeg, for that matter. We moved into an RV, a home on wheels.
So, why didn't we just get another house in the City? That's easy to answer. We can't afford to live anywhere else. And I can't live in the North End anymore. But we can afford to purchase an older, used motorhome. And that is what we did.
I am not sure where we are going to 'live' now. I guess we will travel for a while and see what happens. (Follow our new adventures - Freedom at 51).
I would like to apologize to anyone who feels I have let them down with my leaving. But, one has to do what is best for oneself. I can no longer deal with the issues facing me on my street in the North End. It is not just the garbage in my back lane, or the illegal dumpers who think they can leave all their unwanted crap in my neighbourhood. It is not just the sirens, not just the helicopter, not just the constant fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars on my street. It is not just the graffiti now appearing in my lane. It is not just the partying that goes on all night long, and the yelling that we hear on the street. It is not just the drug houses on the street and the youth we see in neighbouring yards where they don't belong, uttering their threats as they look at us. It is not even just because someone broke into my house in the middle of the night when I was sleeping. It's the whole package. And I am sorry, but I just can't do it anymore.
We have left the North End for happier times.
If you want to know the turning point, the day we made the decision to leave, it was the day I wrote the blog post "The Decline And Fall of Civilization". That was the day I realized this City cares nothing of the North End, and will do nothing to fix it's issues.
North End, I wish you all the best going forward. And I pray the City will care enough to save you some day in the future.
Good day and God bless.

14 comments:

  1. That is discouraging, but I wish you the best of luck with your move. Perhaps you'll find a small house in St.Boniface that you can afford sometime down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel well, travel safe. Will you still keep blogging under your new err... 'mobile hood'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're right behind you, Rae, both in a literal and supportive sense. The missus and I have had enough as well, and are looking to get out within the next year. It's sad, because I love our neighbourhood, but there's only so much us laypeople can do to combat the issues facing the area...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weirdly I don't seem to be able to comment on the post itself so I will latch on to Shaun's post.

      Sorry to see you go Rae, hoping whoever moves in to your old place will be a suitable replacement neighbour as I have a particularly invested interest in you old street!

      Shaun, since I'm latching on, hope you stick it out, don't give up yet - don't know what street you're on, but rather than move out, just work on getting friends and family to move in, strength in numbers!

      Delete
  4. Winnipeg had the opportunity to be much better than what it was, too bad its ruled by unimaginative locals who have absolutely no idea of what they had. Good luck, we are leaving also

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you, and i wishyou luck and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sure, noooooow I can comment on the general post - freaking technology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't post either Winnipeg Girl, so I attaching to you! Rae, you are a champ for toughing it out for so long! I applaud your stamina but you were fighting a battle you cannot win. Good luck in the future!

      Delete
  7. Winnipeg will miss you. We need more shit disturbers to keep the folks who are supposed to be doing "By-law" inspections and all the other pin heads going through the motions of their "jobs" on their toes.
    While we've never met, I'll miss you.
    All the best in the future.
    Thank you for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A predictable ending. I rarely read your blog. It was enough to endure your negative rants whenever I met you. Good bye and good luck. I hope you find happiness somewhere down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were a bit negative. I have good days in the north end and I have weird days but I am a part of it all. I have lived downtown and in the village and the north end is a cake walk compared to those neighbourhoods. Good Luck in your future. Maybe try a nice small town.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your health (mental and physical) is far more important than trying to defend what a lot of people see as a lost cause (North End as a whole). Good luck to you and your husband. I hope you find the peace you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rae! I interviewed you a few months back, and I have kept up on reading your stuff. You worked hard, and endlessly at/within the North End.. but sometimes its just time to move on. I am excited for your new adventures! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found this site, but i totally hear ya! I lived in the north end for 4 years. in those 4 years we had 3 break-ins, twice while we were home. after calling 911 we were left waiting for over an hour each time for the pigs to arrive. both times I ended up taking care of the situation myself.

    We moved for the exact same reasons you did.

    What gets me the most upset about the north end is the useless pigs ( police ) They are pieces of shit. They do not do their job, but rather harass people. at least from our experience.

    Good job for getting out! peace be with ya

    ReplyDelete