Sunday, April 24, 2011

Still No Van, But I Am Making Plans

I finally got myself a rental car yesterday. First, I stopped at the local Autopac office in the neighbourhood to pick up the extra insurance available for rental cars. It costs about a dollar a day, if you get it from Autopac. that's much cheaper than the rate the rental agencies charge. Then I headed down Regent Ave to the rental place. It seems everyone is renting cars for the long weekend, so I had to go a bit out of the way to get a car this weekend. I called a few days ago to let them know I would be coming by. That way, I knew they would have a car available, and it would be ready for me when I got there. We have a second vehicle, so we didn't need them to pick us up from home, but that option is also available, and we have used it in the past.
Then my husband and I took a drive down Keewatin Avenue and stopped in at the McDonalds there. We decided to drop in on Kevin L, our fearless leader for Winnipeg North. I like the guy. I have met him twice now, and have communicated with him via email a few times. He seems to understand what is going on in the area, and has real thoughts on what can be done at the ground level. We have made tentative plans to work on some issues in my area. I hope he gets elected back in. Not because I vote Liberal, I normally don't. But, because he has already started working toward improving things. And he is available to people. He is friendly. And he has been around the block a few times. And I don't want to have to start over with a new person, trying to build rapport again, and hoping they will work with me to fix actual specific issues.
Well, that's my political plug, for what it's worth.
By the way, the police have still not recovered my van, so remember guys, if you see my van let me know. It is red, 1995 Chevy Lumina Minivan, license plate FJA 667. Hope it's not floating down the river on its way to Selkirk.

Earlier in the week I went to my Autopac appointment to deal with the stolen vehicle claim. I asked if I could get an immobilizer put into the van because it was the second time this particular van was stolen. I said the criminals seem to like vans, likely because they can do break and enters and other crimes with vans. I was shown the computer screen, where my van is listed as "not at risk", and told that Autopac will not be installing an immobilizer. I was told I could have one installed if I really wanted, but would have to pay 50% of the cost myself. So, if or when my van gets returned to me, it will be without an immobilizer. Maybe after theft number 3, it will be deemed "at risk", and get an immobilizer installed.
That's all for now folks, time to chase bunnies.

No comments:

Post a Comment