Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring Has Sprung

Spring has sprung on my street. Actually, it sprung at 1:22am this morning. That is when I was woken up to the sound of a woman screaming for help. I did not know the exact location of the scream, but it was coming from somewhere in my back lane, or the next street over, and it was loud.
My husband had been awake for a while already, and said it had just escalated to the woman screaming for help. So, I got the phone and called the police. I could not decide if I should call 911 or the non-emergency number, but I knew I had very little information on the issue I was reporting. So, I call the non-emergency number. I did not have to look it up, as I call it often enough that I just know it. It is 986-6222. The woman answering the phone was polite and asked me a few questions about the issue I was reporting. She asked how many voices and what the woman was screaming. I could hear the one female voice for sure, and sometimes could make out the loud screams for help. I said there seemed to be a quieter voice in the back ground but I could not be sure of the sex of the individual. As I moved toward the window to listen more closely, the woman from the Police department asked me "is that her". I said it was. She could clearly hear the screaming on the other end of the phone.
I gave as good a guess of where the sound was coming from as I could. I said if the police drove down my lane they would be able to hear it as well. So, that was enough for her to rate this a high priority call, and the police were dispatched.
My husband went into the back lane to see if he could determine where the screams were coming from. Then eight minutes later I saw a police car slowly driving down my lane. By that time I could no longer hear the screams, and had no idea what had occurred. But I could see my husband in the lane talking with the officers in the Police car.
It turns out there were two individuals walking down Charles St, one female and one male. As they passed my street the screams coming from the female became louder. I called the police, and the couple proceeded on their way. When the police car arrived in my lane, my husband directed them down Charles to the now larger group of people walking in the night, with the female screaming at the top of her lungs.
It is hard to say if the female was in danger, being hurt, or just screaming. But they walked through the North End waking people up as the went. And I rang in the new season with a call to the police.

1 comment:

  1. They often walk down Aikins too. But usually on the weekend.
    Nobody ever told her the story of the little boy who cried "Wolf". It makes it sad because someday she is going to be screaming for real and we will just roll over and go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete