Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I Was Sleeping, You Know!

I was sleeping last night. I say it that way because I don't always sleep at night anymore. Some nights I am up all night with every noise outside. But last night I slept. Well, that is until something woke me.
There were noises outside on the street. They woke me from a sleep I could have used. When I opened my eyes, my husband was standing by the bedroom window. He was looking down the street. He didn't say a word, and I just lay in bed watching him. Then he came back to bed. Not a word. Then there was another noise outside, and I looked at him with that all too familiar look. It said "what now". He said there was an ambulance down the street. He said it has been there for a while.
I got up and took a look. Sure enough the ambulance was sitting on the street, lights flashing. A minute later there was the sound of a siren in the distance. It was getting louder, and louder. It was close. Then the siren stopped. With the siren off I could hear the sound of the fire truck nearing. Then the reflection of flashing red lights began bouncing off windows down the street. The lights moved closer, dancing off more windows as it approached. Then it stopped in front of the ambulance. I went back to bed.
For the next ten or fifteen minutes I heard the fire truck making noises as pumps operated. I have no idea what it was doing down the street. I found it odd that the ambulance was first on the scene and the fire truck came later, much later. Who knows what these people do at 4 o'clock in the morning. Finally, they were done.
The ambulance backed down the street, past my house, beeping it's back-up signal and flashing it's emergency lights. It stopped at the corner to wait for a car to pass. Then on it went, with the fire truck following behind.
So, now can I get more sleep?
If it's not one thing its another, on my street in the hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment