Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Elections And Garbage All In A Day

Wow, what a race. First he was behind by 100, then 200, then 500. I thought for sure the NDP candidate, Rebecca Blakie, would take the seat. Next thing I see, he was only behind by 100, then ahead by 20. What? Are you kidding me? Kevin was ahead of Rebecca? Could it be? Can he take the seat again? Would he be able to hold the seat long enough to actually accomplish something? Then the results came in and Kevin won the seat with a margin of about 120 votes. That was tense. But it looks like Kevin L took the seat for Winnipeg North. Way to go Kevin.
I said it before and I'll say it again. I like Kevin L. And I have already built a rapport with him. I am glad he is back in power. It would have been a shame to have voted him in just 117 days (or so) ago and take the seat away from him before he had time to accomplish anything. That would have been a huge waste of time and effort for him. And for me, I would have had to get to know another politician, and work to build that rapport needed to get anything done. That would have put me back a few months as well.
But Kevin is back, and I will be getting back to work with him.
While I was waiting for the polls to close, I took a walk around the blocks, and down the lanes. It's the start of a new month, meaning dressers and mattresses are piled high beside the dumpsters. I took my pictures and submitted them to 311, like I always do. While walking down the lanes and streets in my neighbourhood, I go past the same houses, seeing the same garbage and crap piled high in back yards. I see the houses in disrepair with broken and smashed windows. And I see the yards full of dirt, mud, and huge tire rutts with garbage half buried in the muck. I wonder how the City can allow these issues to go unchecked.
Someone needs to take care of these issues and make sure houses are kept in some sort of reasonable shape, if not for the tenants then for the neighbours. Enough is Enough. And now that the election is over, I have plans and I am taking action. I think with Kevin's help we can make a change in my neighbourhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment